Following a transfer window during which his future became obviously uncertain but no move materialized, Shodran Mustafi says he isn’t interested in going to “war” with Arsenal.
Mustafi arrived to the Emirates from Valencia back in 2016 for a fee officially undisclosed but reported at around £35 million, and was announced as an important defensive addition to the team led by Arsene Wenger at the time. He has been a prominent feature for the Gunners in all three seasons so far, making a total of 81 appearances, but he played in the Europa League win away to Eintracht Frankfurt on Thursday for the first time this term.
Both the centre-back and midfielder Mohamed Elneny were informed by manager Unai Emery that they would be allowed to leave the club this summer, but while Elneny made his move to Turkish side Besiktas on loan, Mustafi stayed put. As the 2019/20 season slowly unfolds, it’s becoming perfectly clear that the German has no place in the starting XI with Emery’s preferred choices being David Luiz and Sokratis Papastathopoulos. Calum Chambers was also given a chance to stake a claim to a spot in the team against Newcastle. Following his recovery from an ACL injury, Rob Holding is now back in full training and set to push Mustafi further down the pecking order.
Mustafi says he would be open to taking the next step in his career if an opportunity arises, but if not, he doesn’t have a choice but to keep working at Arsenal, where he is under contract for two more years. His father, who is also his agent, has held talks with the club on the subject, but the issue remains at a stand-still and Emery has now assured him he would be treated the same as any other player in the team. Therefore, he was called into action in Frankfurt.