Arsenal midfielder Matteo Guendouzi is up for the Golden Boy award, which is something that the club should be proud of. He’s on the fast track towards the top of the midfield game in Europe, and he just needs to find a bit more consistency in the starting XI. Regardless of whether or not he can do that, he seems to have a good head on his shoulders, which can only mean good things for his future.
“It shows that I’ve been working hard at Arsenal and have also done well at international level,” Guendouzi told Arsenal Player.
“I think it’s a reward for all the hard work that I’ve done at the club and the good displays I’ve produced, but it also reflects my progress in training and how much I’ve come on as a player here.
“It’s a reward for all my hard work and I’m hugely proud to be part of the 20 players under the age of 21 who’ve been nominated for the Golden Boy award – it’s fantastic.
“There are some super players [nominated]. We know there are players like [Matthijs] De Ligt, the Juve defender, and Joao Felix, the Atletico forward.
“There are fantastic players everywhere and it’s a wonderful award for whoever ends up winning it.”
Courtesy of FourFourTwo, here is the full list of contenders for the prestigious award.
- Matthijs de Ligt (Juventus, Holland)
- Alphonso Davies (Bayern Munich, Canada)
- Gianluigi Donnarumma (Milan, Italy)
- Ansu Fati (Barcelona, Spain)
- Phil Foden (Man City, England)
- Matteo Guendouzi (Arsenal, France)
- Erling Haaland (RB Salzburg, Norway)
- Kai Havertz (Bayer Leverkusen, Germany)
- Joao Felix (Atletico Madrid, Portugal)
- Dejan Joveljic (Eintracht Frankfurt, Serbia)
- Moise Kean (Everton, Italy)
- Kang-in Lee (Valencia, South Korea)
- Andrij Oleksijovyc (Valladolid, Ukraine)
- Danyell Malen (PSV Eindhoven, Netherlands)
- Mason Mount (Chelsea, England)
- Rodrygo (Real Madrid, Brazil)
- Jadon Sancho (Borussia Dortmund, England)
- Ferran Torres (Valencia, Spain)
- Vinicius Jr (Real Madrid, Brazil)
- Nicolo Zaniolo (Roma, Italy)
The competition is certainly tough, but let’s not pretend like there are all too many players on that list who are more naturally gifted in the middle of the park than the young Frenchman.
Will Guendouzi win the Golden Boy award?