Arsenal see-off Manchester City in extra-time - My Arsenal Blog

My Arsenal Blog

Arsenal see-off Manchester City in extra-time

Posted on April 23, 2017 by David Nugent

Arsenal are through to the FA Cup final after a 2-1 extra-time victory over Manchester City at Wembley on Sunday afternoon.

City offered the first threat on goal on three minutes, as Kevin de Bruyne dragged an effort wide of goal from distance. There was then a period of the two teams feeling each other out and the Gunners had their first attempt of the game just prior to the quarter of an hour mark.

Olivier Giroud’s header from inside the area was straight at Claudio Bravo. City went up the other end and Petr Cech was forced into tipping a David Silva header wide of goal.

Arsenal saw a goal disallowed for offside on 22 minutes. Giroud headed the ball towards goal and Laurent Koscielny poked home. However, the Frenchman two teammates were standing in offside positions.

Manchester City were next to see sight of goal, as Raheem Sterling hit a volley from just outside of the area wide of Cech’s far post. Pep Guardiola’s side saw penalty claims waved after Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain’s challenge on Sergio Aguero.

City started to dominate possession and on 38 minutes striker Sergio Aguero fizzed a low effort into the side-netting. The Citizens looked to have taken the lead on 39 minutes. However, it was a controversial decision.

Leroy Sane’s cross from the by-line found Aguero whose effort from close-range towards goal looked to have been scooped from beyond the goal line by Cech, only for Raheem Sterling to fire home from the rebound. However, the referee’s assistant adjudged Sane’s cross to have gone out of play.

In first half stoppage-time, Arsenal’s Alexis Sanchez had a penalty appealed turned down after a clumsy challenge by Jesus Navas.

The first real threat on goal of the second period came on 50 minutes, as City centre-back Nicolas Otamendi headed wide of goal from a corner kick. At the other end of the pitch, Arsenal midfielder saw a shot from the edge of the area deflect wide of goal.

City took the lead on 62 minutes. Arsenal midfielder Aaron Ramsey lost the ball to Yaya Toure on the edge of his own area, the Ivorian played a ball over the top of the Arsenal defence to Aguero who outpaced Nacho Monreal and knocked the ball past Bravo.

The Gunners looked to hit back straight away, as Mesut Ozil pulled an effort just wide from the edge of the City penalty area. Arsene Wenger’s side were level on 72 minutes. Oxlade-Chamberlain’s superb cross was sublimely volleyed home at the far post by Nacho Monreal.

City came agonisingly close to taking the lead on 79 minutes. Toure produced a brilliant volley from just outside the area that looked destined for the bottom corner, only for Cech to tip the effort onto the post.

City hit the woodwork again a few minutes later, as Fernandinho’s powerful header from a corner kick smashed back off the bar. With just four minutes left Arsenal substitute Danny Welbeck flashed an effort just past the far post, with both Sanchez and Ramsey in support.

After an end to end finish to normal time, the game then went into extra-time. Six minutes into extra-time Arsenal defender Rob Holding headed just over the bar with a glorious chance from an Ozil corner kick.

Arsenal did take the lead ten minutes into stoppage-time. Welbeck missed his kick in front of goal, but Sanchez was there to keep his cool and slot home.

In stoppage-time of the first half of extra time, Danny Welbeck headed a glorious chance wide of goal from a couple of yards out. City midfielder Fabian Delph hit a tame effort wide of goal with the first effort of the second period of extra-time.

City came close to equalising with ten minutes of extra-time remaining. Kevin de Bruyne drove at the Arsenal defence and laid the ball off to Fabian Delph, who somehow hit his effort into the side-netting.

Soon afterwards De Bruyne saw a low effort squirmed wide of the far post, as City pushed for that all-important equaliser. Toure curled an effort wide of goal on 117 minutes.

City pushed for an equaliser, but the Gunners held on to the narrow lead and progressed to their 20th FA Cup final.

Who was Arsenal’s man of the match against Manchester City?

Leave a Reply

↑ Top